Tuesday 11 December 2012

.... and cheers to you too!



It's been a little over a week since we threw open the doors to Rundell & Rundell. What an eye opener. We had an eclectic range of product in the shop. Our products, the work of some local artists and makers and also a few collectables that Lisa and I have picked up on our travels. Oh and some windsor chairs too.  A few things that we thought would sell didn't, some others that we thought might not, did. Long story short, I've been back in the workshop already making more stock. Lisa has as well, in fact I can hear the murmur of her sewing machine as I type.

 Austrian style 'Jause' Boards. So popular anyone would think people are eating them and        
                                                                    not from them ! 

I've had the odd email too. Ok, a lot of emails. Most ask for a photo or two on the blog of the inside of the shop. I'll get around to organising that soon. As soon as I find my camera, which I cant seem to find. With stuff strewn all over the place, I'm sure it's under a pile of sawdust somewhere.

But more importantly I wanted to give an update on some other R & R news. As most of you who follow the blog might know, work space has been an ad-hoc affair since our move to Kyneton. At first we had none, then after building a shed at the back of the cottage, we had and still have a small workspace. When I filled it with my workbench, cabinets, lathe and other machinery the small workspace became a whole lot smaller. With not enough room to sneeze and having to go outside to change your mind, it was an interesting experience.

So a few months back I took it upon myself to look about for a space to rent. An old factory, which I knew had been vacant for some time, came to mind and I made some enquiries. After speaking with the owner I found that it was beyond our means and so went and had a coffee to rethink the issue. 

My neighbour Joe happened to be in the cafe and we had a chat about lack of workspaces. Joe was in the same boat and being a builder, was looking for a workspace too. We both revisited the factory and I'm very happy to say that we have now co-leased the space. It's an amazing workspace to say the least. In fact the shed space alone is immense. Add to that a separate room ( air conditioned and with wood heater ) for hand tool work and running classes. There is also a large yard to the side of the building with a spectacular Pin Oak providing plenty of shade. Just the thing for sitting under whilst on the shave horse! Best of all, it too is only a short stroll from Piper Street and great coffee.

Whilst on the subject of the workshop, both Joe and I have some grand plans for the space, given its size. I won't go into great detail now, but it revolves around others utilising space in the workshop to work at their own chosen trades and crafts. A little like a communal hub for like minded trades people. We've already had some really positive enquiries from people who would like to ply their trade there, so exciting times are ahead! 

Finally, workshop wise, I have sent out the workshop overview email to the dozens of people who have enquired about a course for the new year. If you haven't received that email or would like to, please let me know and I will forward it to you. Our course dates for 2013 will be released on the 1st of January, 2013. We expect to be running at least 2 varied courses a month, time permitting and other chair courses at pre-arranged times too.



One more thing. Next time you're passing through, call in for a drink at the bar! Yes that's right, the bar. At 4pm on Fridays and Saturdays, ( Thurs - Sun after Xmas ) Rundell & Rundell Chairmakers transforms into...... The Chairmakers Wife, a little bar serving wine and local cider by the glass ( and bottle if you're so inclined ) and the odd beer and sparkling too. It's a great spot for a drink, after work, after a long drive, after a great meal else where on Piper Street or even after one of our classes! Another reason to call in and say hello. Cheers!

2 comments: